A grid of more than twenty Formula 3 cars will race in the F3 Cup’s opening round at Oulton Park this Easter (9 April). The championship, which is run by MotorSport Vision Racing (MSVR), will partner the British GT Championship on one of the busiest days of the season at the Cheshire circuit, with thousands of spectators expected to attend on Bank Holiday Monday.
F3 Cup features Formula 3 cars built between the early 1980s and 2007, and lap only a few seconds slower than the cars that race in the current British F3 Championship. With budgets a fraction of the cost, F3 Cup provides an affordable opportunity for drivers and teams to compete in high-tech F3 cars, and the superb grid of more than 20 cars for the opening round includes British Formula Ford race winner Linton Stutely, plus MSVR champions Tristan Cliffe from the Monoposto single seater series and James Abbott from the Radical Sportscars Clubman’s Cup.
Local man Jamie Stanley from Chester will be making a return to single seaters at Oulton Park with the F3 Cup, a path he was earlier forced to abandon due to budgetary issues. Having carved out a successful career in sportscars, which includes winning the 2010 British GT4 title, the 28-year old makes his F3 debut this Easter at his home circuit.
Stanley, who will drive for Lanan Racing, said: “I couldn’t climb the single seater ladder with the budgets that are normally involved, so the chance to come back and race an F3 car was too good an opportunity to miss. I think the series promotion is great and it’s a fantastic championship and concept.”
David Scott, Race Operations Manager for MSVR said: “We’re delighted to welcome so many F3 cars to the opening round of this year’s F3 Cup Championship. By keeping costs to a sensible level, whilst opening the series to cars from as recently as 2007, both club racers and young drivers on the ladder to F1 can now experience Formula 3 competition in a highly professional environment, even on modest budgets.
“The F3 Cup will co-headline the event at Oulton Park with the British GT Championship, and it will be a fantastic opportunity for F3 Cup competitors to showcase their talents in front of a huge crowd on Bank Holiday Monday. It should be a fabulous meeting and we can’t wait to get started!”
F3 Cup 2012 Round 1 Provisional Oulton Park Entry List:
1. Chris Needham, Cup Class (2002 – 2007)
2. Mark Harrison, Cup Class (2002 – 2007)
3. Neil Harrison, Cup Class (2002 – 2007)
4. Stuart Wiltshire, Cup Class (2002 – 2007)
5. Alf Skeels, Cup Class (2002 – 2007)
7. Tony Bishop, Cup Class (2002 – 2007)
8. Philip Austin, Trophy Class (1997 – 2001)
9. Louis Hamilton-Smith, Cup Class (2002 – 2007)
10. Prajesh Shah, Cup Class (2002 – 2007)
14. Nick Robinson, Cup Class (2002 – 2007)
16. Gino Ussi, Cup Class (2002 – 2007)
17. James Ledamun, Masters Class (1980 – 1996)
23. James Cross, Cup Class (2002 – 2007)
24. Matt Payne, Cup Class (2002 – 2007)
25. Kat Impey, Cup Class (2002 – 2007)
27. Tristan Cliffe, Cup Class (2002 – 2007)
33. Benjamin Harvey, Cup Class (2002 – 2007)
48. Jamie Stanley, Trophy Class (1997 – 2001)
58. Linton Stutely, Trophy Class (1997 – 2001)
74 James Abbott, Cup Class (2002 – 2007)
77 Dave Karaskas, Trophy Class (1997 – 2001)
Tickets for the British GT/F3 Championships at Oulton Park, featuring the F3 Cup Championship, are available from £13 with free entry for children aged 12 and under. British F3, which traditionally races at this event, will this year feature on the Good Friday and Easter Saturday. For more information on the event line-up and to purchase tickets, call 0843 453 9000 or visit www.oultonpark.co.uk